Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hoosier Beer Advertising Crate


I wanted to take some time today and steer a little away from ephemera and show an unusual advertising collectible that is considered a cross-over. This wonderful old wooden crate style box fits into the advertising collectible category because it has the Hoosier Beer logo on it. It would also be desirable to a collector of breweriana because it was used for Hoosier Beer, hence the cross-over. A third category would be from us silly people in Indiana who collect items made in our state or have the name 'Hoosier' on them. So this old advertising box would be in at least three categories of collecting.

Hoosier Beer was brewed in South Bend, Indiana during the 20th century by South Bend Brewing Company. I couldn't find specific dates as to when it began and ended. I do know that an association was formed to market and brew Hoosier Beer from 1900 to 1949. The company was called South Bend Beverage & Ice Company. During the prohibition era that company made Hoosier Cream Soda. My guess is that the box pictured is after 1949 as it held 24 - 12 oz bottles of beer and it has South Bend Brewing Company instead of the Beverage and Ice name. If anyone out there knows more of the history, I'd be fascinated to know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also have intrest in building doing research,add me on facebook.com my name is lawrence springer,then go to my group save the south bend bottling company, here is a link to help you get stared, www.brewersofindianaguild.com

Number of visitors to my Blog since August 25, 2007